The Scholastic Aptitude Test or SAT is an essential test for students who are ready to get into a good college. To get ready for the test, you need to work hard and spend a lot of time preparing. By excelling in the SAT, you are ensuring that you are ready to achieve further success in life. King Education helps you gain essential knowledge and learn skills to know the test, practice it in smart ways, and approach it with the right strategy on test day.
Overview of The Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT)
The Scholastic Aptitude Test is conducted seven times a year, depending on the region. In most countries, this test is performed at least five times each year. The cost of registration for the test starts from $52.50 to $101.50, depending on the country. In 2019, more than 2.2 million students appeared to take the SATs around the world. Here is some important information you need about the test:
- This paper-pencil test is three hours long.
- It contains four sections – Writing and Language, Reading, and Mathematics (without a calculator) & Mathematics (with the calculator)
- There is an optional fifth section of essay writing, which is required by some colleges.
- The score range for the overall test is between 400 and 1600.
Preparing for the SAT
Thinking about the test and performing well can be overwhelming for students. But the test isn’t that hard if you spend some time preparing for it. Here are some simple techniques and guidelines that can be effective for getting a good score in your SATs.
- In order to get the most out of this test, you need to start studying at the right time. The ideal time to start studying for the SAT exam is four months prior to the test.
- SAT includes a verbal section with questions that require reading comprehension and dictation skills. If you want to attempt all the answers correctly, read novels, newspapers, and watch English movies. If you are unfamiliar with a word, you must check it in the dictionary immediately.
- Learn new words and try to utilize those words in everyday conversation. This way, you will remember their meaning.
- Make notes of every word that you learn; including the meanings in a diary that you can carry easily everywhere you go. This way, you can scan the pages when you get time. Moreover, make sentences with those words so you can comprehend the usage better.
- Learning groups of words is a good idea, and it saves you time. Learn root meanings, prefixes, and suffixes. For instance, the meaning of prefix “ex” is away or out. Now write down the words that are similar, such as extinct, exit, exterior, extrapolate, or extrinsic. This way, you can easily understand the meaning of the words that are inter-linked.
- Polishing your writing skills is also essential for the writing section. Keep a journal and write whatever you think of. This way, you get to come up with new writing ideas.
- Purchase a logic puzzle book from the bookstore and practice those puzzles every day. Logic puzzles are also crucial for your SAT exam. SAT is designed to test the logical reasoning skills of the candidate.
Start studying the previous test papers. This way, you can practice the patterns and directions of the test. You do not want to waste your time understanding the format of the test during the exam. Once the exam has started, every minute counts.
King Education is a New York based tutoring service that helps students with their SATs through one-on-one online sessions. We also provide learning solutions to students interested in ISEE, SHSAT, ACT, GRE or GMAT, and more.
Contact us today to schedule a free consultation.